Fall
Fall has arrived in Annapolis. I pulled my LL Bean field coat out last night, and I couldn't be happier. I love coat weather. I finally have pockets for small books.
I got a new pair of boots a few weeks ago, and I have been wearing them constantly. They are made by Frye, which is one of the oldest companies in the US. They actually supplied the same boot to the North and the South during the War. Thinking of Dr. Elliott, I teach in mine. Also, I have begun going on tangents. Some the kids enjoy it, most of them don't understand. They did get interested, however, when I brought in "Jabberwocky."
Last weekend, some our friends at 121 Market hosted a Pumpkin Carving Party. I gave mine a labotomy with an open, blank stare and a drooling mouth. The operation was only a moderate success. When we lit them all up together, he looked rather silly. We also watched the Charlie Brown special about The Great Pumpkin. Our friend Dave found it on DVD the day of the party. With the success of Charlie Brown, he also proposed a fall movie festival starting with Rushmore and The Dead Poet's Society. Any other suggestions?
In literary news, Thomas Pynchon has a new novel. It is not yet available, but you can see an advance copy at the Literary Saloon. I usually pay at least some attention to these guys, but I won't be picking it up any time soon. Gravity's Rainbow was enough for me.
7 Comments:
I will buy you a book bag someday.
Only if you get it embroidered with a few limericks.
I embroider! (Got away with it at the library a few times actually).
How are you and Annapolis and SJC? It's hard to read about autumn in that beautiful town and not feel a little homesick.
(ps) I'm adding you guys to my blogroll.
I am currently waiting for two beautiful zucchini cakes to cool so that I can ice them. My wife baked them for the After-Seminar Gathering tonight.
After a bit of rummaging, I found my copy of Gravity's Rainbow. Baudy songs and shanties are peppered throughout the novel, but here's a not so naughty limerick:
There was was a thing called a V-2
To pilot which you did not need to -
You just pushed a button
And it would leave just nuttin'
But stiffs and big holes and debris, too.
They get much worse. I enjoyed Dr. Claxton's originals much better. My favorite was Paradise Lost condensed in a single limerick.
I thought I had a few of them, but I wouldn't even know what box to look in. Do any of you have them? Those still at Harding should chat up Dr. Claxton and post a couple.
The Clax : that indomitable man of prosodic genius. He has more literary gumption in his left thumb than the rest of us have in our whole bodies.
I'll mention some pretty fine haikus that were composed concerning a certain Dr. Cliff Ganus...
I hope that those were somewhere other than the burnt house.
The last line of one was, "Damn, that man has class."
Post a Comment
<< Home