Tuesday, January 09, 2007

"Brown paper packages tied up with strings"

A few of my favorite things about starting a new semester:

1. Buying new books for a seminar and finding that they are all books I've wanted to read anyway

2. New books in general, and the pleasing fullness of one's bookshelves

3. Putting bookplates (from the box I received in girlhood, in my Christmas stocking, I think, and just rediscovered while at my parents') on my new hardback copy of Lawrence James' delightfully imposing narrative history of the British Empire, Raj

4. a la Anne, a new semester is always fresh, with no mistakes in it

5. how everyone--well, some people--is not yet disillusioned about another semester in graduate school, but actually rather excited about diving into fifteen weeks of intense study of a beloved subject (I usually begin a semester so excited I am nearly beside myself)

6. last semester as an M.A. student!

On a completely unrelated note, I would like to propose a toast to the Luddites, who saw a bad thing coming and tried to break it into smallish, unusable pieces. Here's to the days before the industrial revolution.





3 Comments:

At 1/10/07, 7:23 PM, Blogger E Reed said...

Speaking of new semesters, I will be translating the Iliad this time around. In an effort to have something of a long-distance conversation, I have started a blog where I will post my translations: themark.wordpress.com

And Kelly, did we ever get that summary of your thesis? Before you are once again buried in critics, tell us what you are looking at.

 
At 1/10/07, 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn the industrial revolution!

 
At 1/12/07, 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He said as he finished typing on the computer, walked across the lawn and started his motor-car, drove home to his well-lit apartment and got some stir fry out of the freezer and turned on the stove, and cooked the meal while listening to the radio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home