Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Friends all over the world

I have just been feeling warmed by a particularly nice email from my sister. She and Taylor's sister, it seems, have just enjoyed Berlin, hosted by our dearest Berliner-Chicagoan-catfish expert. Karie reported a visit to a famous Berlin restaurant and the James Bond movie one night, and then the considerable opportunity to hear Jonathan preach in German the next morning.

We have such good friends. And it's nice to have someone looking after our sisters for a bit. Thanks, Professor Reinhardt.

26 Comments:

At 11/29/06, 3:54 PM, Blogger Jonathan G. Reinhardt said...

Yes, and also Betsy Carr. It was quite the weekend.

The restaurant was Lutter & Wegener on the beautiful Gendarmenmarkt, where German poets E.T.A. Hoffmann, Heinrich Heine, philosopher Hegel, and playwright/critic Schiller were regulars for a while... and it's also the setting for some of Offenbach's opera "Tales of Hoffmann." So it was quite literally a Romantic place.

 
At 11/30/06, 3:08 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

you didn´t tell me that. I ate at an old hangout of Picasso´s yesterday- am I on a roll or what. Whitefish with orange sauce- in my top five meals of Italy. Lisbon today, then Paris then home.

 
At 12/1/06, 12:49 PM, Blogger Jonathan G. Reinhardt said...

Well, I was too preoccupied wondering whether you were going to eat that raw meat or not.

I also didn't tell you that the wine house in front of which we drank something mulled and warm was a favorite of Theodor Fontane's, who is kind of the Prussian Tocqueville, except that he also wrote some rather good novels. But I didn't want to bore the company. I thought shocking them with the expressionist murals was enough.

 
At 12/1/06, 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stragely enough, I remember eating some raw-ish meat at the Einstein Cafe in Berlin. It must be a Carr thing.

 
At 12/1/06, 5:32 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

I'm pretty sure Jeremy ended up with raw meat at the Einstein, as well. All I remember of my meal is the Orangina and the blessedness of heat.

 
At 12/1/06, 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And getting slightly tipsy at the hostel.

 
At 12/2/06, 8:55 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I did NOT get tipsy at the hostel--that white wine was absolutely disgusting. You, T-lor, were the tipsy one, and then you insisted on playing James Brown music and made us all get up ridiculously early the next morning.

 
At 12/2/06, 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was a group effort. The James Brown was, yes, a rather glaring miscalculation.

 
At 12/2/06, 12:30 PM, Blogger E Reed said...

I don't recall the James Brown. Was I there? Or was I tipsy?

 
At 12/3/06, 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 things:

1) E- you may have been talking to your future wife at the point when I introduced James Brown

2) Is the blog in a new font or is it just me? I really like it, whatever it is.

3) It's supposed to snow here tomorrow. I'm slightly giddy with excitement.

 
At 12/4/06, 3:04 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Yes, the blog is in a new font. I figured out how to do that when I was trying to figure out how to post a photograph of good ol' 603. It's Georgia. Also, James Brown showed up on the GRE subject test. 1 question on Faulkner, 0 on Hemingway, 0 on Fitzgerald, 2 on old English, 1 on James Brown, "a performer of 'soul' music." The canon is shaping up nicely, boys, the canon is shaping up nicely.

 
At 12/4/06, 11:39 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Don't forget your umbrella for the snow, Mr Tumnus.

 
At 12/5/06, 2:47 PM, Blogger Jonathan G. Reinhardt said...

This post started out being about me. How did it end up being about without-me? You wound me. You cut me deep, friends.

 
At 12/5/06, 5:57 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Surely you don't miss the obvious connection between James Brown and yourself, Reinhardt.

 
At 12/5/06, 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, both of you have an overabundance of funk and thus must not be present in a Berlin hostel.

 
At 12/6/06, 2:15 PM, Blogger E Reed said...

Indeed, Jonathan always brings the house down.

 
At 12/6/06, 2:49 PM, Blogger Jonathan G. Reinhardt said...

Speaking of which, Everett... I need your mailing address, please. You can email it to me, but not at the Harding address. That got killed today by the admins. I'm too old now to play with Pipeline (if they only knew...).

By the way, this would be SO much easier if you'd give up being such a Luddite (or at least let Meoldy give it up for you) and get on Facebook like all good procrastinators, teenie-boppers, and eternal college students. Then I could ask you there instead of here. This feels so public.

 
At 12/7/06, 11:26 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Public and private spheres. Literary sphere? Plebeian public sphere? Folk? It feels public because it is. Witness the glorious resurection of the public sphere! The golden age is upon us, friends! Let us all rejoice in the public use of our private reason! Rational critical discourse is ours...

 
At 12/7/06, 11:40 AM, Blogger Jonathan G. Reinhardt said...

Jeremy, have some coffee and take a break. It's all messing with your brain.

 
At 12/7/06, 5:02 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

I would have eaten the raw meat, but I thought it would kind of be a bigger deal than to not eat it. Also, it was not enough to really be worth it. My favorite part was the curtain over the door.

 
At 12/7/06, 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Jeremy, I know where you're coming from. The Internet 2.0 is upon us: autonomy is gone, and folksonomy is here! We shall glide into the future on a never-ending wave of information! Oh Brave New world, that has such people in it!

 
At 12/9/06, 10:04 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Taylor, did it snow? Did you build a snowman? It was 17 here overnight last night, which is cold enough to be highly unusual for here in December. I don't expect it will ever snow, though. In my mind I'm going to Carolina. Or anywhere farther north with mountains, real seasons, deciduous trees, and snow in the winter.

 
At 12/9/06, 10:33 AM, Blogger E Reed said...

In my mind I'm gone to Carolina...
Kelly's code phrase for I'm tipsy.

 
At 12/9/06, 11:17 AM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Acts 2:13-15
Some, however, made fun of them and said "They have had too much wine." Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: "Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning!"

 
At 12/9/06, 12:31 PM, Blogger E Reed said...

Jeremy, speaking of the golden age:

"Mark you this, Bassanio,
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose."

The Merchant of Venice I,iii

and

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Hamlet III, ii

Your "rational critical discourse" has nothing on a-wassailing. Oh so folksy: here's to the Old World.

 
At 12/9/06, 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bit of snow appeared on Wednesday, but sadly it was gone by the afternoon - so no snowmen. It has been ridiculously cold, though.

Everett, you've forgotten that human progress and invention are what will bring in the thousand-year reign of Christendom. The old world will pass away. With our Bible in one hand and our Blackberry in the other we shall march forward into the future!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home